KeepKey’s sleek design supports over 40 different crypto assets and offers top-notch security for transacting your crypto assets through exchanges.
In 2015, Darin Stanchfield founded KeepKey based in the US. The company was acquired by the crypto exchange ShapeShift in 2017.
KeepKey connects to your computer via a USB cable, and its packaging includes a leather storage case and a card to write down your recovery sentence.
Compared to competing brands like TREZOR and Ledger Nano, KeepKey is far more competitively priced.
KeepKey Product Details:
- Name: KeepKey
- Type: A hardware wallet
- Connection: USB HID
- Supported coins: Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Dash, and 46 ERC-20 tokens
- Operating System: macOS, Chrome, PC, Linux
- Weight: 1.88 ounces
KeepKey Pros and Cons
- KeepKey comes at a competitive price compared to similar brands
- QR code supported on the display screen
- KeepKey uses open-source software
- The hardware wallet is user friendly
- KeepKey supports over 40 crypto assets
- The KeepKey PIN code prevents unauthorized views of your balance and transactions
- KeepKey can integrate with third-party wallet MyEtherWallet to manage ERC-20 tokens
- There is no way to export your transaction history
- KeepKey does not have multi-signature capabilities
- The hardware wallet does not automatically time out
- It has a limited app capacity
How does KeepKey Work?
The KeepKey hardware wallet connects with the wallet software loaded on your computer by managing transaction signing, private key storage, and creating new keys. The private keys are only created in the storage device and never through the internet.
KeepKey provides some of the best security features on the market. You can even use the wallet on an infected computer as the private keys never leave the device. The wallet can be backed up using a 12-word recovery phrase created when you first set up the device. However, KeepKey can support a seed phrase up to 24-words.
Every time you plug or unplug the wallet you will need to input a PIN as part of its security features. When receiving crypto, you need to click the receive button and see your unique address in the field. The wallet does not need to be connected to a computer for it to receive funds.
KeepKey has many security features to keep your crypto assets secure and free from hackers or malware. Users need PIN codes to access the device and to make any transactions. Back-up features included the device generating a seed phrase up to 24 words. KeepKey has been certified by the French cybersecurity agency ANSSI.
2. Integration with Shapeshift
KeepKey has the special feature of integrating directly with trusted crypto exchange Shapeshift. However, you can still create an account elsewhere while you use the existing Chrome browser plugin.
3. Easy to use design
KeepKey has a durable and sleek design. The hardware wallet only has one button to turn the wallet on or off. Every other process you can complete on the mobile app. Another key feature of this design is the widescreen. This screen allows you to see the entire crypto address without scrolling back and forth.
4. Multi-Currency Support
KeepKey can support over 40 crypto assets including ERC-20 tokens, which means you can store NFTs and similar assets. Apart from the popular crypto coins like Bitcoin and Ethereum, KeepKey supports Ripple, Litecoin, Binance Coin, Dogecoin, and many others.
5. Software compatibility.
KeepKey operates on most software platforms including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, and Google Chrome.